"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cooking is Still Overrated

I took my own advice several weeks ago and cooked a few dinners from internet recipes. Of course, they didn’t look like the ones in the pictures, but they all turned out to be quite delicious. This was quite an accomplishment for me and at the time I believed I was turning over a new leaf. I believed I was going to be cooking exotic meals (anything besides a salad, spaghetti and tacos is exotic to me) from then on because it was fun, easy and tapped into my creative spirit.

Creating food masterpieces only lasted about one week.

The more I thought about it the more I realized it isn’t I didn’t enjoy the art of creating some food masterpiece it just seemed to be a lot of work to eat only a little bit.  I had to go to specialty stores for the majority of ingredients whose names I could not even pronounce.  Then there was the ever present fear what if it tasted bad?  What if I had spent all this time and money on something that is not even edible (those ingredients with unpronounceable names had ungodly price tags)?  It was fun during the making, but obviously not enough "fun" -- otherwise it would have lasted more than a week.  I may still create some exotic meal from time to time, but I will stick to things I know best like…mowing the lawn or refinishing furniture and leave the cooking to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment