"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Adirondack Chairs

I have decided my next project is to make an Adirondack chair. I don’t know if you know this, but to buy one already made is very expensive (usually over $100). What is an Adirondack chair you may ask? Well according to Wikipedia the Adirondack chair was designed by Thomas Lee in 1903 while he was on vacation in Westport, New York, in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains. Apparently he wanted outdoor chairs for his summer home. The “original Adirondack chair was made with eleven pieces of wood, cut from a single board. It had a straight back and seat, which were set at a slant to sit better on the steep mountain inclines of the area. It also featured wide armrests, which became a hallmark of the Adirondack chair.”

I have always loved these chairs and I think they would look great around our fire pit so I am ready to take on the challenge, get out my tools (and get some new ones) and go to work. I will keep you posted on my progress, or lack thereof, which often seems to be the case (the bike).

No comments:

Post a Comment