"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cowboy Boots

One would never know by looking at me today, but I used to wear boots nearly all the time growing up and into my early twenties. So if anyone has experience on knowing how to pick the right size boot it should be me. However, it has been nearly twenty years since I last put on a pair of boots and I forgot about the size rules. As such I ended up buying three pairs of boots trying to get the right size. After the second pair purchase I decided to do some internet research on how to fit a cowboy boot and the information I found was at best -- inaccurate. Having owned numerous pairs of cowboy boots (Justin Ropers, Tony Lama) I always had to go one to two sizes smaller than my regular shoe size. First of all, if you buy a good quality leather boot – it will stretch. You don’t want to buy it too big anticipating you can wear a thick sock unless you are in a climate warranting thick socks. Here – not so much. When I used to wear and buy Justin Ropers I would have to get a 4 ½ B, which is two sizes smaller than what I usually wear. Every brand is different, but as a rule you will wear a smaller size in a leather boot. My recommendation is to shop around for several brands since some are more comfortable than others.

Since I don’t get much opportunity for shopping I turned to endless.com. I bought about six boots from them last fall and returned them all because they were not what I wanted – and I did not have to pay a dime for shipping coming or going! This year I finally found a boot I thought I might like and based on the reviews bought them in my usual shoe size (not boot size). As mentioned previously the first pair was too big so I ordered the next smaller size and sent the first ones back. The second pair was also too big so I ordered the third pair one full size smaller than my usual shoe size – size 6B. They arrived today and they fit perfectly. I tried both the 6 ½ and 6 on with thick and thin socks and the 6 ½ was still loose. In my experience one would not want to wear thick socks with cowboy boots as so many “experts” advise. As such I decided to go with the smaller size since it was still loose and being leather it will loosen up more.

The best things about endless.com are one can buy multiple sizes to find the right fit and boot, initial and return shipping are free and it is on-line. For mom’s of small children you know how horrible your children act when you are trying to shop in the store? Well, now they can still act horrible, but no one can judge you since you are shopping on-line.

1 comment: