"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Saturday, September 4, 2010

FaceBook Convert

I was never interested in having a Facebook page because I felt it was a superficial way to stay in touch with family and friends.  I believed people used it as a substitute to good old fashioned hanging out or talking on the phone, but I have finally given in to getting a Facebook page.  And it appears I am not the only recent Facebook convert in my network:  my sister Julie finally gave in and now has a Facebook page much to the happiness of her friends and family. Although I am not as obsessed as some -- I find it to be occasionally useful and somewhat entertaining.

Truth be told, and entertainment value aside, the real reason I am a Facebook convert is so I may follow what is going on with my son and share pictures with family.  It has been a few weeks and I still don't understand some of the idiosyncrasies of Facebook like why comments my "friends" make show up on my page, what the "wall" is, why it is so important to "accumulate" friends or why little advertisements appear with some one's name advocating for the product.  And oddly, with my brief experience, I have found Facebook to be somewhat like high school.  You are either popular with many friends....or not.  Everyone who is on Facebook knows which one you are -- just like high school.  My husband asked me how many friends I have and  I said thirteen -- I am not so popular.  I don't mind.  I had my turn...I was popular in high school.

Unlike high school, where I rarely had time to be lonely, the advancement of technology has only exacerbated the lack of in-person connecting for most of us today.  I believe one of my "friends" on Facebook summed up today's technology rather well:  ‎"It's supposed to make us feel more connected...but I feel lonelier than ever."  Facebook is a useful way to stay connected, but should never be used as a substitute for annoying people in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment