"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Little Blue Bicycle Refurbishment Project…


The Score: Bike 1, Lucille 1 lump

I have a mountain bike and I really like it but Ibert the child safety seat does not. Ibert is a great idea, but for me and many others if you are small with a small bike Ibert is not going to work for you. So…I did want any obsessed parent would do I bought another bike with more clearance for Ibert and Ethan (Ethan is the son and Ibert is the seat).. and since I am a sensible obsessed parent I decided I was not going to spend more than $50. After a diligent search on Craigslist.com I turned up a so-called-antique bike for $65. It definitely looked old – but it had character. After a few emails to the seller I was told the antique bike was not for me since it appeared I was not looking to appreciate its antiqueness (I am afraid I questioned his knowledge that the bike was an antique afterall he admitted he was not a bike-guy), however he had just the bike for me for the amazing price of $30. So off we went to pretty-far-away-land of east Mesa where I found my future bike. I had Ibert with me of course so I tested it out. It seemed to work and perhaps would work best if the handlebars could be raised – to which I was assured they would. I hate impulse shopping and prefer to think about things first, but I sure didn’t want to drive all the way back here again after having “time to think about it” -- so I bought it. Once home we got “her” all cleaned up and even adjusted the handlebars with the help of a neighbor. Ibert looked really good on this bike and I could squeeze in between him and the bike seat, barely, but it was doable. Maybe I could raise the handlebars just a little bit more? So I loosened the main nut around the stem, then I loosened the bolt holding the stem in the bike, then I pulled. But nothing happened…it wouldn’t budge. So then I pulled really really hard and the handlebar came off, but first it hit me in the forehead with the force that I exerted to get it out. It really hurt and now I have a huge blue lump on my forehead. It was so big my son thought it was a “booby” – this is something he calls all bumps including my boobies which are a little bigger than bumps.

All in all I am not so sure Ibert and this bike are going to be good together because this too is a small bike (see what impulse shopping gets you). So what are my choices? Resale the bike for $30 plus pain and suffering or…refurbish the bike and sell it for more or keep it. So far one hour and one lump invested. I will keep you posted on the refurbishing progress. 

As it turns out ibert the child bicycle seat fits my husband's bike very well.  After some websearching I noticed that many women had the same problem with the seat fitting their bike, however it fits a man's or larger bike very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment