"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cooking is Overrated

I really wish I were a better cook. I am sure my husband does too. Maybe I should rephrase that: I wish I were more interested in cooking. I am just not that into making exciting dishes or baking delicious deserts. First off I don’t really eat very much so what is the point of making a giant meal that I am not going to eat? Moreover, why bake?  I don’t often eat cakes or cookies. I can, however, make a really nice salad. Sandwiches too. I get really fancy with my sandwiches: I toast the bread, add some mayo and mustard, organic turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, a little salt and pepper with a dash of oil and vinegar. The other issue my husband has with my “cooking” is I make the same things over and over. It's true. I have had a half of cup of oatmeal for breakfast every morning for the last maybe two years. I am just not a food connoisseur. I don’t really crave trying new food things. On our trip to Italy recently I had margarita pizza for lunch/dinner every day (I either had lunch or dinner never both). I rarely ate breakfast in Germany since my oatmeal did not taste the same (I actually packed a giant bag of oatmeal). My idea of a meal is a vegetable and a meat -- and often times that is exactly what I will make. Grilled chicken with steamed broccoli. Baked salmon with steamed broccoli (see the theme here). BBQ chicken with green beans. But my husband doesn’t like my two-food meal and says he has to have a carbohydrate.  I say “who says you have to have a carbohydrate?” Who made that rule? To indulge him I make white rice as the carbohydrate, but he doesn’t like plain rice (easy two step process) so he takes over making the rice by using 10 steps to create some Turkish rice dish. Did I mention my husband is quite the cook himself? My sister, Julie and her husband, Eric, are food connoisseurs as well. They make unbelievably amazing dishes – together the three of them could start their own restaurant. I think my husband should have married my sister and her husband because they LOVE to cook.

Look at the lovely and delectable salad I made. This very delicious salad contains romaine lettuce, spinach, purple cabbage and cucumbers.  It is topped with pico de gallo and chicken (both made by my husband) and Paul Newman Light Lime Dressing. I bet you thought my salad would consist of iceberg lettuce and some tomato? Cooking is so overrated.

1 comment:

  1. I cite:

    Babe, can you make some kebap today. Kebap is so good.
    Please make some cookies, I love your cookies.
    Turkish soup, can you make some turkish soup.
    Borek, I love borek.

    ReplyDelete