"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Monday, June 14, 2010

Bike Refurbishment Saga


Since starting this project last week I have not sustained any more injuries, which I am happy about because my bump is still here and hurting four days later. The bike has been cleaned and washed, cleaned with kerosene and washed and sanded and washed -- so I am pretty sure it was clean when I painted it. However, after priming it and wet sanding it according to the guidelines I found the primer washed off! I let it dry for well over 24 hours and the same thing happened again. Well, I decided I am not going to sand this bike down to the metal since that would just be too much of an investment (afterall I do have a house to clean, a toddler to watch, and meals to cook -- well not really the cooking part but I do I have things I have to do). After the two coats of primer I put the first coat of appliance paint (yes, that is correct appliance paint is what the Home Depot Guy and fellow customer recommended). Sadly, this part hasn't gone well either. The paint left a dimpling effect behind. I am not quite sure what to do at this point, but I feel anything I do or have done will look better than what it did before.

So far the only part of the refurbishment that has gone well is cleaning up the seat. The seat had been oversprayed with paint prior to my purchasing it, however after a thorough cleaning with saddle soap and conditioning with beeswax it looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment