"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mommy Group

I was a single parent for fifteen years, and so it seemed, feared by all married women because I may steal their husband (that is what we single women do -- prey on married men).  I never really felt like I fit in with the married Mommy's neither then nor now.   And so it was with trepidation that I went to a Mommy Group get together last week.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and  not as excruciatingly humiliating as the Stroller Strides mommy group.  Stroller Strides is a married mommy group that meets for fitness and association.  The association part I get, but the fitness part was a joke.  I felt like a complete fool jumping around a stroller singing nursery rhymes while an overweight mommy shouted orders from a bench. I lasted one meeting in that group.

One of the members of this new mommy group is starting a book club so I asked for the details to join.  You can't imagine how overjoyed I was to meet women who were as hungry for intellectual stimulation as I am (and can you blame me -- I spend the majority of my week with a three year old?).  When I received the email I noticed it was at someone's house so I inquired about having it at the Library so as not to be disturbed by children during our vigorous debates (or so I fantasized) and added "children aren't allowed, right?"  Well, if I was interested in the club, that comment cemented their non-interest in me.  Unfortunately, I was unaware of the rule "never have a get together that isn't centered around your off-spring." As such my comment revealed me to be undesirable mommy club material and have not been invited back.  Kind of bummer because I was really looking forward to hanging out with a bunch of non-feminist-pacifier-toting-my-baby-is-the-center-of-my-universe anti-intellectuals. Not.

2 comments:

  1. My friend Jen, whom u met at my party, has a book club...if you're interested I can get u the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great -- hopefully it is somewhat close to me. You are so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete