"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Yes We Got Along!"

The question I hear most since I got back from my trip to Boston was -- "Did you two get along?"  I am not sure if this alludes to me and my unwarranted pretentious disposition or just a question one would ask when you plan a vacation with someone you haven't seen in 15 years.  I hope it is the latter.  When you think about it planning a four day trip with someone you haven't talked to or seen in fifteen years, let alone sharing a hotel room, does seem rather risque.  Oddly, or not, it was if we picked up where we last left off. 

We last left off when her youngest, and my only one at the time, both were three.  Now hers are 18 and 21 and my oldest is 18 and youngest is three.  For her it must be like de ja vu because she keeps calling my now three year old, Ethan, "Jace" his older brother - who at the time was three.  It seems as though much has changed yet who we are at the core really hasn't.  I feel very fortunate to have reconnected with my friend whom I have known since third grade.  Even more fortunate that her memory of things is much more preserved than mine and I get to hear stories of our childhood, and later, letters -- of things I had forgotten.

For those who anticipated I would have scared my dear friend away with my critical unabashed unfounded and pretentious wisdom -- I didn't. Nor did her snoring scare me away.  We look forward to our next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment