"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Garage Sale Secrets

It has taken many years to figure this out, although in my 22 plus years of being a real grown up I have had very few garage or yard sales, so it has taken awhile to learn you must price things cheap – and I mean like bubble gum machine candy cheap. I usually just give things to Goodwill by boxing it up and putting it on the curb. My feelings were I would rather give it away than sell it for next to nothing – somewhat of a cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face mentality.

We just had the most successful garage sale ever and I think we have had four in the last four years. Of course it helped we had numerous electronic items such as laptops, cell phones, dvd player, vhs player, etc… and I sold a firearm for dirt cheap (didn’t really know what it was worth until I sold it). The bigger items aside we sold all the other stuff for anywhere from fifty cents to three dollars. We started out with about five boxes of stuff and were left with two small boxes for Goodwill.

I don’t think I will be a garage sale convert having them every month, but making a hundred bucks off a bunch of useless stuff once a year is a hundred bucks in my pocket and probably much better payoff than writing off donations in my taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment