"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ethan's Room

It seems there is always something to do or finish or fix in my son's room.  I can't help but wonder if this feeling is related to my husband's request to not buy our son toys?  This has been very hard for me since it is the American Way to consume and supply.  In trying to support my husband's request, and fulfill my desire to give to my son, I opt to create active pursuits in his room and play area instead. 

Ethan's arts area already received a facelift so his room got a mini makeover next.  I have been very pleased with  how well his room is organized and I liked the majority of the pieces in the room, however some changes were in order.  First, I took out the Kidkraft storage bins that had were holding various small toys that were rarely used.  I replaced it with and Expedit shelf from Ikea.  Unbeknownst to Ethan I threw away many of the unused and broken toys and placed the rest in three different Drona boxes -- where they largely go hidden and unused.  Additionally, the expedit unit provides a great sitting and standing area for the magnetic chalkboard. 

The chalkboard was made with a three by four sheet of galvanized metal (I had read that magnetized paint does not work as well as purported) glued to a thin sheet of pressed wood ($7).  Once the glue was dry I painted it with chalkboard paint (as many coats as you like -- I did five because the metal was slick and the paint did not always adhere).  I used two sheets of four by three side by side to create one huge chalkboard space of three by eight.  Because I could not get the two sheets to marry together at the seams I placed a piece of trim on it to separate the board into sides.  I also trimmed the exterior edges of the board to create the look of a classic school room chalkboard.

I wanted to create a more custom look for Ethan's bed so I replaced the ailing curtains under the bed (create a fun space underneath the bed).  I purchased some good quality medium weight canvas from www.onlinefabricstore.net for a reasonable price and made new curtains in blue and yellow.  I also changed his bedding to include some orange throw pillows from Pottery Barn (quilt and euro pillow covers are also from Pottery Barn).  To add some color to the room I painted one wall green.

Overall the room has become exactly what I had envisioned.  Ethan may not have alot of toys but he has a very fun sleeping and playing place and I had fun creating this space.




No comments:

Post a Comment