"If you have time to spare go by air, if you really have to get there...go by car." Author Unknown

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Deutsch 101

Yep. I am learning German.  I must say I wished I would have payed more attention to English Grammer in high school (or maybe I did pay attention but it was so long ago and I am so old I can't remember).  Now I am not only learning German, but relearning English Grammer at the same time.  My head is reeling from all the new terms: predicate noun, direct and indirect objects, prepositional phrases.  The only ones I am really sure of are nouns and verbs.  Of course add to all the English grammer I am learning the many German words like eigentlich which means actually and hoffentlich which means hopefully.  And to make it even more complicated the German language has all these cognates and false cognates (words which look like English words but may or may not have same meaning).  For example, der after which one would think means the same as the English after...but it doesn't... it means anus.

I wonder at this point if I will ever be able to speak German -- let alone English (God only knows how I made it this far without knowing when and where to use a predicate noun).  I am enjoying myself, and in spite of my now very obvious difficulties with English, I can make out some of what I hear in German and alot of what I read.  I would call that progress.  

So onward we go into Kapitel Zwei (Chapter two) where I am learning proper placement of predicate nouns, objects, pronouns and prepositional phrases in German Sentences. Good luck to me....

No comments:

Post a Comment